Citymend Mobile App

Project At-a-glance

CityMend is a smartphone application which enables users to report public-space issues, create events, and start discussions to bring awareness to local government agencies and to enable the community act on fixing these problems.


CityMend is a graduate student project. If adopted, our team anticipates the applicaiton would lead to increased participation and impact by citizens for local city issues.


  • Camera journal

  • Competitive product evaluation

  • Wireframes

  • Interactive prototype

  • Usability testing


  • Balsamiq

  • Photoshop

  • InVision


We performed three types of research to gain an idea about the product space:

Camera journal [participant photo pictured at right]: The camera journal gave us insight into how people view and interact in public spaces. This method helps eliminate memory bias because the photos reveal problems that the participants experienced during the week and generated a sample of issues people face.

Competitive product evaluation: Reviewing current public-space-issue mobile applications showed us what issues people commonly report in 2015. It also gave us insight on how the crowdsourced reporting translated into action (or inaction) by the city to fix the concern.

Survey: By conducting a survey, we were able to gain insights from many participants (25) in a short amount of time. As such, we saw a variety of responses and were better able to pick out patterns of behavior.




I took what we had learned from the paper prototypes and created several wireframes. This was a critical part in our design process because it forced me (and the team) to make certain layout decisions that we hadn't completely anticipated from the previous hand-drawn stage. A lot of discussion helped bring them to a state that the whole team agreed upon, and from there we moved on to a "skinned" Photoshop version, which ultimately provided the screens for our interactive prototype.


Usability testing

Once our first interactive prototype was complete (after doing initial paper prototype testing), we took it to 4 people for usability testing. The key task the users performed was joining an event, starting at the home page. The testing exposed the strengths and weaknesses of our design.

We wrote up a prototype evaluation document, and choose our top 3 design issues to resolve in the redesign effort.


Final prototype video

The team and I used the results from usability testing to iterate on our design. The design screens were made in Photoshop and linked together in an interactive prototype in InVision.

The video shown to the right is a walkthrough of our final prototype, narrated by my team member Deyi Jang.


The team


Many thanks to my amazing team, without whom this would not have been possible!

From left to right:
Kathryn Brookshier, Deyi Jang, Matt Reynolds, Zack Robinson